Last Updated on April 8, 2021 by Lori Geurin
Excellent nutrition is crucial if you want to lose weight, gain muscle and radiate health and vitality, especially when you’re intermittent fasting.
Intermittent fasting (IF) is a concept that has been around for ages. It is not about what foods you choose to eat. But it is all about the timing of when you eat and don’t eat, cycling between periods of feasting and fasting.
Intermittent Fasting Nutrition
People will say that you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight while fasting.
And, while this may be true to an extent, if you want the best results then you need to upgrade your diet. Make healthy choices when it comes to nourishing your body with real, wholesome food.
Get our FREE Intermittent Fasting eBook
Below are some tips to guide your food choices and maximize your results when fasting.
- 5 Least Demanding Pets for the Busy Pet Owner
- How to Simplify Your Life: 10 Easy Steps to a Better Quality of Living
- 5 Delicious Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss
- How To Overcome Limiting Beliefs and Have the Life of Your Dreams
- 12 Health Benefits Of Low Carb And Keto Diets
IF: What To Eat For Maximum Results
- Include a serving of protein with each meal or snack. Examples include plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whole eggs, chicken breast, grass-fed beef, fish, whey protein, lentils, chickpeas, nutritional yeast, quinoa, a can of tuna or beans.
- Eat plenty of leafy green and cruciferous vegetables, such as spinach, romaine lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower.
- Include healthy fats, such as grass-fed butter, coconut, olive oil, avocados, nuts, and nut butters.
- If you’re in the mood for something sweet, fruit is an excellent choice. Or, check out the next option…
- A bit of dark chocolate (at least 70-80% cocoa) is full of antioxidants and makes a delicious and indulgent treat.
- Complex carbohydrates, including sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, and quinoa are okay if you are able to reach your weight loss goals. But keep in mind that if your weight loss is stalling you may want to eat smaller portions (or cut these foods entirely until you reach your goal weight) and see if that helps.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Coffee and green tea are healthy beverages you can include in your periods of fasting.
- Avoid simple sugars and simple carbohydrates found in white bread and baked goods.
- Avoid packaged and processed foods.
(You may want to learn about clean fasting to improve your fasting results.)
Summary – Intermittent Fasting And What To Eat
To sum up, intermittent fasting is a timing concept, cycling between periods of feasting and fasting.
It’s important to nourish your body with healthy foods such as protein-rich foods, healthy fats, and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. Some people tolerate complex carbohydrates fine; but this may be something to watch if you have trouble meeting your weight loss goals.
Finally, avoid sugary, simple carbohydrates and prepackaged foods. And always drink plenty of water.
Do you do intermittent fasting? What do you eat?
You can read more about intermittent fasting here:
- The Top 7 Myths About Fasting Revealed
- 5 Favorite Intermittent Fasting Methods Explained
- Quick Tips For Intermittent Fasting Like A Rockstar
- Intermittent Fasting: The Effortless Way To Lose Weight
- The Quick Guide To Intermittent Fasting
- 9 Health Benefits Of Intermittent Fasting
- Intermittent Fasting Workout: Benefits Of Exercising In a Fasted State
- 9 Essential Questions About Intermittent Fasting Answered