Last Updated on July 26, 2023 by Lori Geurin
You can do many things to improve your health, but it may surprise you that drinking lemon water is one of them. Here are 9 health benefits you can enjoy from lemon water.
Lemons have an amazing ability to boost your health and vitality. Lemon contains Vitamin C, which is crucial for the immune system. They’re also high in fiber and antioxidants. And best of all, the fresh, clean scent of lemons can brighten your mood and put a smile on your face! Yes, they smell that good.
Let’s take a quick look at the nutritional facts about lemons before exploring the health benefits.
Get the FREE Intermittent Fasting Ebook
- Lemon Water Nutrition Facts
- 1. May Help With Weight Loss
- 2. Help Prevent Kidney Stones
- 3. Promotes Healthier Skin
- 4. Protect Against Anemia
- 5. Improves Digestive Health
- 6. Reduces The Risk Of Cancer
- 7. Promotes Heart Health
- 8. Boosts The Immune System
- 9. Boosts The Energy Level And Mood
- Drinking Lemon Water
- Special Considerations About Lemon Water
- Other Uses For Lemons
- Lemon Water With Honey
- Summary – Benefits of Drinking Water With Lemon
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
Lemon Water Nutrition Facts
One cup of fresh lemon juice in a glass of water has:
- 61 calories
- 6 grams of sugar
- 3 grams of protein
- 0 grams of fat
- 1 gram fiber (4 percent DV)
- 112 milligrams vitamin C (a whopping 187 % DV!)
- 0.1 milligrams thiamine (5 percent DV)
- 303 milligrams potassium (9 percent DV)
- 31.7 micrograms folate (8 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligrams vitamin B6 (6 percent DV)
- 0.1 milligrams copper (4 percent DV)
- 14.6 milligrams magnesium (4 percent DV)
- 0.4 milligrams vitamin E (2 percent DV)
PIN ME, PLEASE!
What Are The Health Benefits Of Lemon Water?
1. May Help With Weight Loss
Lemons contain a type of soluble fiber called pectin. Pectin is found in fruit and can help you feel full longer because it expands in your stomach. Some animal studies show that plant compounds in lemon extracts may promote weight loss and prevent weight gain(1).
2. Help Prevent Kidney Stones
Citric acid is a plant compound found in lemons which may help prevent kidney stones from forming (2).
3. Promotes Healthier Skin
The antioxidants in lemons fight damage caused by free radicals, which gives the skin an incredible glow from within. If you’ve ever used a vitamin C serum on your face, you know what I’m talking about.
Vitamin C also helps the body produce collagen, which smooths out wrinkles (3).
4. Protect Against Anemia
Anemia is often related to an iron deficiency. Lemon water can help enhance the body’s ability to absorb iron from food (4).
So if you have iron-deficiency anemia, you may want to try lemon water when eating iron-rich foods.
5. Improves Digestive Health
D-Limonene is a plant compound found in lemon peel. It is what gives lemons their delightful, fresh scent.
It also helps calm an upset stomach and can relieve reflux and heartburn symptoms (5).
6. Reduces The Risk Of Cancer
7. Promotes Heart Health
The most common cause of death throughout the world is cardiovascular disease. This includes both strokes and heart attacks.
Plus, the fiber in citrus fruits was shown to decrease cholesterol levels (9).
8. Boosts The Immune System
The vitamin C found in lemons was shown to enhance the immune system (10).
9. Boosts The Energy Level And Mood
Lemons are known as a natural energizer. Who (with the exception of a small child), couldn’t use more energy? Vitamin B6 includes a group of vitamins that help convert food to energy.
Please note, if you have sensitive skin you may want to dilute the oil (with olive, coconut, or another favorite carrier oil) to prevent irritation.
- 10 Benefits of a Minimalist Wardrobe: Unlock Wellness Through Simplicity
- How to Boost Your Self-Confidence: A Comprehensive Guide
- How To Unlock Your True Potential and Boost Your Life: A Guide to Becoming Your Best Self
- Twenty 30-Day Challenge Ideas To Improve Your Life
- How To Be More Confident: 15 Surprising Habits of Confident People
Drinking Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water is a simple way to enjoy the benefits of lemons. It’s so refreshing and healthy!
I typically add the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon to a large glass of water. You can also add a bit of honey if you like. You can it lukewarm, or even cold if you prefer.
And drink it in the morning, throughout your day, or in the evening too. You can drink lemon water any time of day or night (just make sure you brush your teeth afterward. See the special considerations below for more information.).
Special Considerations About Lemon Water
Lemons are highly acidic and can eat away at the tooth enamel. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to help prevent this from happening.
- Always dilute lemon juice by adding water.
- You can drink it first thing in the morning, before you brush your teeth. The bacteria present on your teeth will help protect the tooth enamel. (Sounds gross, but it works!)
- Consider drinking it through a straw to lessen contact with teeth.
- After drinking lemon water, rinse your teeth with baking soda.
Other Uses For Lemons
Lemons are great for cleaning and deodorizing your kitchen. And who doesn’t love that all-natural fresh, clean scent?
Or clean your tarnished silverware with a drop of lemon essential oil on a cloth.
Whiten your teeth using a mixture of fresh-squeezed lemon juice, baking soda, and coconut oil. Apply the mixture to your toothbrush or simply use a clean finger to apply to the teeth. Leave this on your teeth for 2 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
For more about natural teeth whitening, see 81 Uses For Coconut Oil.
Lemon Water With Honey
You may have heard, or even tried drinking warm lemon water with honey. Not only does it taste delicious and soothing, but there’s also scientific evidence showing it can help with a couple of things.
Honey has been shown to reduce coughing so this makes a great drink when you’re feeling under the weather. Plus, raw honey may benefit the bacteria in your gut.
PIN THIS FOR LATER
Summary – Benefits of Drinking Water With Lemon
Considering all the health benefits of lemon water, is it any wonder so many of us are using lemon essential oil or drinking lemon water?
Who knew the impact of this tart, yellow fruit was so far-reaching? So, go on and enjoy a refreshing glass of lemon water!
Do you drink lemon water? What benefits have you noticed?
If you liked this, you’re going to love:
- 9 Impressive Health Benefits of Coffee
- 8 Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 12 Health Benefits Of Chia Seeds
- 5 Health Benefits Of Whey Protein
- 15 Healthy Breakfast Foods To Start Your Morning Right
- Best Superfoods For Spoonies: Chronic Illness Symptom Relief