Last Updated on January 3, 2021 by Lori Geurin
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases have been reported in over half of all U.S. states. People are talking about it everywhere you go. And for the 133 million Americans who suffer from at least one chronic disease, this is especially concerning. If you’re wondering about Coronavirus and Lyme disease keep reading to learn tips to protect yourself when your immune system is compromised.
(Want our FREE Lyme disease download that’ll give you the signs, symptoms, and stages of Lyme? Simply click the link below for the printable PDF.)
If you have Lyme, an autoimmune disease, or other chronic health conditions you’re probably wondering how to protect yourself. And there isn’t much information available on what to do if you’re at risk for serious illness from COVID-19. Of course, this is likely because it’s in the early stages and we’re learning more about it each day.
The Coronavirus Hits Home
Although we live in a small community in southwest Missouri, our family has already been impacted by COVID-19. My husband had a speaking engagement at a principal’s conference in Los Angelas scheduled in the coming weeks. It was to be during our school’s spring break so we had planned a mini-vacation. We were going to take our teenage daughter and extend our stay after his conference was over.
But then we learned of the Coronavirus and started weighing our options. I’ve been dealing with chronic Lyme, autoimmune disease, and related chronic health problems for years now. After considering everything, including the number of Coronavirus cases in California, we made the difficult decision to cancel our trip. Shortly after canceling our trip, my husband received word that the conference had been canceled.
There are so many unknowns about this disease – and because it’s spreading so quickly – it’s caused a lot of concern. And while we certainly don’t want to panic, there is a good reason for concern. Especially for those most susceptible to the disease, including the elderly and people with chronic health conditions.
Coronavirus Information For People With Lyme
I received an article in my inbox today about COVID-19 and Lyme and wanted to summarize what I learned here. Although the piece is geared toward Lyme patients, Dr. Steven Bock shares several helpful tips that are good for anyone with a chronic illness. Or an immune system that isn’t functioning optimally.
He shares some sciencey stuff related to the immune system. It’s interesting, but I’ll focus on sharing tips you can take to protect yourself from COVID-19 (summarized from the article and video on Lymedisease.org).
Want more great health and wellness tips, recipes, and personal growth strategies? Be sure to follow us on Pinterest!
Protect Yourself From Coronavirus (COVID-19) When You Have Lyme
- Get adequate sleep. If you’re having difficulty sleeping, check out 16 Quick Tips To Help You Sleep Better Tonight for simple advice you can use tonight.
- Eliminate sugar from your diet. This is because it weakens your immune system. (Not to mention all of the other harmful effects of sugar on the body.)
- Handle stress in your life and “nurture your parasympathetic” nervous system. Meditate. Take supplements that promote relaxation. These include Ashwagandha, B-complex vitamins, Melatonin, and Glycine. Make a point to laugh more. Watch your favorite sitcom or phone a friend for a light-hearted chat.
- Wash your hands.
- Wear a mask.
- Keep your hands away from your face.
- Wipe down surfaces to minimize possible contact with germs.
- Avoid crowds as much as possible. This helps minimize your contact with people which spreads the disease.
- Remember that there are things you can do to strengthen your immune system. Follow the tips given above and take a look at the video below if you have a second.
You might also want to read the CDC’s People at Risk for Serious Illness from COVID-19.
Summary – Coronavirus and Lyme
Having the tools to deal with new diseases helps prepare you. It can also help diffuse some of the anxiety many people are feeling right now. Make time to take care of yourself, especially now.
Eat healthy, nourishing real food. Get plenty of restorative sleep. Deal with stress in your life. Move your body every day – gentle stretching, yoga, pilates, walking, running – whatever you’re able to do helps so much.
And, please remember that this will ultimately get better. Summer is coming! Hang in there. We’re all in this together!
I hope you found this post helpful. If you or someone you love has Lyme or other chronic illness could you please share this Coronavirus article with them?
What are you doing to protect yourself from COVID-19? Has it impacted your life personally?
Please share your thoughts below. I’d love to hear from you!
For more information about Lyme, be sure to check out:
- Justin Bieber’s Lyme Battle Exposes Ugly Truth
- 16 Facts You Need To Know About Lyme Disease
- 21 Strategies To Fight Lyme Disease Naturally
- New York Times, This Is Lyme
This post contains affiliate links. You can read our Affiliate Policy here.