Last Updated on July 25, 2022 by Lori Geurin
You’ve heard it said that sugar is bad for your health. But what does that really mean? The research continues to stack up against our biggest dietary enemy…refined sugar.
In fact, no matter how much we crave the sweet stuff – sugar is our nutritional nemesis. Processed sugar (not fat) is one of the leading causes of many modern diseases. These include fatty liver disease, obesity, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and asthma.
So let’s take an inside look at the facts. Based on research.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
20 Reasons Why Refined Sugar Is Bad For Your Health
- Sugar causes tooth decay (1).
- Eating excess sugar can cause fatty liver disease (2).
- Sugar depletes the body of nutrients and suppresses the immune system (3).
- Sugar, not saturated fat, raises cholesterol, and causes cardiovascular disease (4, 5, 6). I’m glad they finally cleared this up!
- Consuming sugar can cause insulin resistance as well as metabolic syndrome (7).
- Sugar can cause mood disorders and depression (8).
- Sugar causes inflammation which can lead to disease (9).
- Eating sugar causes wrinkles (10).
- Sugar is highly addictive, “as addictive as cocaine” (11).
- Sugar increases the risk of cancer because it causes metabolic changes (12, 13).
- Consuming sugar causes obesity, a leading cause of mortality and chronic disease in the United States (14).
- Sugar is a leading cause of Type 2 diabetes (15).
- Sugar impacts the brain and is linked to Alzheimer’s disease (16).
- Eating sugar can cause osteoporosis (17).
- Sugar causes high blood pressure (18).
- Eating and drinking sugar increases your appetite (19).
- Sugar consumption can cause kidney stones (20).
- Sugar can cause food allergies as well as asthma (21).
- Dietary sugar intake produces free radicals and damages DNA (22).
- Sugar may contribute to poor eyesight and macular degeneration (23).
Check out our social media detox challenge!
Summary – Refined Sugar And Your Health
In the research on sugar and your health above you can see that refined sugar is full of empty calories and highly addictive. Eating it causes inflammation in the body.
And, above all, sugar makes you hungrier and increases your risk for diseases, chronic health conditions, and mood disorders. Eating sugar (or not eating sugar) is a personal choice.
So if you want to cut down on your sugar intake but still crave something sweet, try substituting fruit. It’s fiber-rich, packed with antioxidants, and is naturally sweet.
Also, if you’re looking for a natural sugar substitute that is actually good for you, I recommend Stevia. You can learn more about it in Stevia Health Benefits, Safety And Inside Information.
What’s your favorite tip for cutting back on sugar? What do you eat when you’re craving something sweet?
Share your thoughts about sugar below in the comment section!
If you liked this you’ll want to check out:
- Top 20 Best Healthy Snacks
- Pink Himalayan Salt Benefits That Boost Your Health
- Intermittent Fasting: The Effortless Way To Lose Weight
- 13 Curcumin And Turmeric Benefits: An Impressive Healing Spice