Last Updated on April 22, 2021 by Lori Geurin
Wondering what to eat before you work out? Here are 10 of the best pre-workout foods for increased energy and stamina to power your workout sesh.
If you want to know what to eat before a workout to build muscle, lose weight, or have more energy you’re not alone. Get the list of best foods to eat before a workout, plus my review of SmoothieBox in this post.
This is a sponsored post. SmoothieBox sent me a complimentary box of 20 Super Smoothies to try and share my unbiased review with you.
PLEASE PIN FOR LATER
What You Get In A SmoothieBox
Everything comes neatly packaged in your box. I got a notification when mine was to be delivered which was good to know because when it arrived I put the packages in my freezer. They’re shipped with freezer packs so if you’re at work or away from home when they’re delivered you don’t have to worry about them spoiling.
The super smoothies are made with organic ingredients, including:
- frozen fruits
There’s no sugar or artificial ingredients added.
Each 5-pack in the box comes with these healthy, delicious flavors:
- BERRY – strawberries and blueberries for a natural energy boost
- CLEMENTINE – mandarin oranges, carrots, and sweet potatoes to reduce inflammation
- GREEN – pineapple, avocado, and spinach to support your immune system
- CACAO – bananas, kale, and zucchini to support gut health
I love them all, but my favorite is the green smoothie! I like to blend it with:
- 1 T. chia seeds
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 banana
So nutritious and tasty!
Having a ready-made smoothie mix is super convenient. You simply pour the frozen ingredients into a blender (I use my NutriBullet) with your favorite liquid and blend to get a creamy, delicious smoothie.
Sometimes I add water, coconut water, or coconut milk. You can also add a scoop of protein powder if you want to increase your protein intake.
How Much Does SmoothieBox Cost?
For $99 a month you get 20 smoothies. This is about $4.95 per smoothie, which isn’t cheap, but when you consider the price of smoothies you might buy at your gym or from a local smoothie shop I think it’s very reasonable.
Especially when you consider the quality and the quantity. Each package has 2 generous servings. So you’re actually getting 40 servings in a box. And, if you look at it this way, it brings the price down to $2.48/smoothie.
Shipping is always free and you can cancel or edit your box whenever you like.
SmoothieBox Discount Code
If you’re thinking of trying SmoothieBox be sure to use the code below to get a discount!
Get $15 Off + FREE Shipping On Your First SmoothieBox with the code SMOOTHIEFAN15 at SmoothieBox.com through 12/31/21.
Are Smoothies Actually Healthy For You?
Smoothies can fill you up and keep you satisfied until your next meal. Some people use them as meal replacements and claim they can help with weight loss. As long as they don’t contain lots of added sugar or extra calories they can help you improve nutrition and maybe even lose weight naturally.
The healthiest smoothies include whole foods like vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats. Adding these nourishing ingredients, and avoiding added sugar makes the smoothie a healthy choice.
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Fruit Smoothies?
- help you feel full longer
- prevent dehydration
- a great source of antioxidants
- liquid food is easier to digest, making them a good option for people with digestive issues
- boosts your energy
- increase your intake of vegetables and fruit
- may help increase your fiber intake which can help prevent chronic illness
10 Best Pre-Workout Foods For Muscle Gain
These options are perfect to eat about 2 to 3 hours before your training session. If you need to eat closer to your workout, choose foods that are easier to digest, like smoothies.
If you’ve been wondering what to eat before a workout to build muscle or lose weight. Here are 10 of the best pre-workout meals for muscle gain and fat loss:
- Fruit smoothie
- Egg omelet with avocado toast
- Chicken with vegetables and rice
- Apple slices with almond butter and raisins
- Whole grain bread with lean meat or nut butter
- Protein pancakes topped with peanut or almond butter
- Greek yogurt with berries
- Overnight oats or baked oatmeal
- No-bake energy balls
- Banana with peanut butter on whole-grain bread
You may also enjoy these 20 healthy high-protein snack recipes.
- Why You Should Try Intermittent Fasting: 10 Solid Reasons
- My Favorite Thing About Intermittent Fasting, From 10 Fasting Experts
- Twenty 30-Day Challenge Ideas To Improve Your Life
- 7 Simple Tricks To Reduce Sugar Cravings More Effectively
- 20 Simple Ways To Express Gratitude This Year
PLEASE PIN FOR LATER
Summary – SmoothieBox Review & Pre-Workout Foods
I hope you’ve enjoyed my review and have some fresh ideas for what to eat before your workout.
Focusing on healthy, real food that has protein, healthy fats, and (unless you’re on a keto eating plan) some whole grains is a good idea. These foods will give you energy to get the most out of your workout.
What do you like to eat before or after your workout? Have you tried SmoothieBox?