Last Updated on May 4, 2022 by Lori Geurin
Do you know that magnesium is one of the most important minerals for women? Magnesium is essential for many processes in the body, including energy production, nerve function, and muscle contraction. It also helps to regulate blood pressure and keep our bones strong. Unfortunately, many women are not getting enough magnesium in their diets. This can lead to health problems such as migraines, fatigue, and insomnia. In this blog post, we will discuss the importance of magnesium for women and share a list of magnesium-rich foods that you can eat every day!
- Why Eat Magnesium-Rich Foods?
- What Are High Magnesium Foods?
- Magnesium-Rich Foods Keto
- What Are the Benefits of Magnesium Supplements?
- Final Thoughts About Magnesium-Rich Foods and Supplements
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
Why Eat Magnesium-Rich Foods?
So why is magnesium so important for women? Magnesium plays a key role in many of the body’s processes, including:
- Energy production: Magnesium is involved in the conversion of food into energy. It helps to activate enzymes that are necessary for this process.[*]
- Nerve function: Magnesium is necessary for the proper functioning of nerves and muscles. It helps to transmit signals between the brain and the body.[*]
- Muscle contraction: Magnesium is needed for muscle contraction and relaxation. It helps to maintain normal muscle tone.[*]
- Blood pressure regulation: Magnesium helps to regulate blood pressure by relaxing the walls of blood vessels.[*]
- Bone health: Magnesium is necessary for the absorption of calcium, which is needed for strong bones.[*]
As you can see, magnesium is involved in many of the body’s vital functions. If you are not getting enough magnesium, it can lead to some serious health problems. That’s why it’s important to eat magnesium-rich foods every day!
Check out our weekly wellness log in our Amazon store to help you keep track of what foods you are eating, how much water you are drinking, exercise, and more!
What Are High Magnesium Foods?
Now that you know why it’s important to eat magnesium-rich foods, you may be wondering what these foods are.
List of Magnesium-Rich Foods
Here is a list of some high magnesium foods:
- Almonds: One half cup of almonds contains 76 mg of magnesium.
- Spinach: One cup of cooked spinach contains 157 mg of magnesium.
- Cashews: One half cup of cashews contains 200 mg of magnesium.
- Edamame: One cup of cooked edamame contains 99 mg of magnesium.
- Black beans: One cup of cooked black beans contains 120 mg of magnesium.
- Lentils: One cup of cooked lentils contains 71 mg of magnesium.
- Chickpeas: One cup of cooked chickpeas contains 230 mg of magnesium.
- Brown rice: One cup of cooked brown rice contains 84 mg of magnesium.
- Avocado: One avocado contains 58 mg of magnesium.
- Banana: One medium banana contains 32 mg of magnesium.
As you can see, many delicious and healthy foods are high in magnesium. So make sure to include these foods in your diet!
Magnesium-Rich Foods Keto
It’s also important to note that you can get magnesium from supplements. However, it’s always best to get your nutrients from food first. If you are on a keto diet, there are still plenty of magnesium-rich foods that you can eat. Here are some examples:
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are a great source of magnesium. You can eat them as a snack or add them to your favorite recipes.
- Dark leafy greens: Dark leafy greens such as spinach and Swiss chard are also high in magnesium. You can sauté them, add them to salads, or use them in smoothies.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is a great source of magnesium. Make sure to choose a brand that is at least 70% cocoa.
- Coconut: Coconut is a versatile food that can be used in sweet or savory dishes. It’s also a good source of magnesium.
- Avocado: Avocado is a great source of magnesium. You can add it to salads, or sandwiches, or use it as a dip.
As you can see, there are plenty of magnesium-rich foods that you can eat on a keto diet. So make sure to include these foods in your diet!
What Are the Benefits of Magnesium Supplements?
Although the best way to get the benefits of magnesium is by eating nutrient-dense foods, some people may need to take magnesium supplements. Magnesium supplements can help to:
- Increase energy levels
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Improve sleep quality
- Relieve headaches and migraines
- Reduce inflammation
- Lower blood pressure
Here are a few of our favorite magnesium supplements.
Final Thoughts About Magnesium-Rich Foods and Supplements
Taking magnesium supplements can have several health benefits. However, it’s always best to get your nutrients from food first. If you are on a keto diet, there are still plenty of magnesium-rich foods that you can eat. So make sure to include these foods in your diet! Thanks for reading! I hope this list of magnesium-rich foods was helpful.
Printable Weekly Meal Planner
The list of magnesium-rich foods above is a great resource for anyone looking to increase their intake of this important mineral. If you are looking for a convenient way to keep track of which foods are high in magnesium, be sure to get our printable weekly meal planner.
Do you have any other favorite magnesium-rich foods? Let me know in the comments below!