Last Updated on December 8, 2022 by Lori Geurin
When you start your day off right, it sets the tone for the rest of your day. If you’re rushed and stressed in the morning, it’s going to be hard to relax and enjoy yourself later on. That’s why it’s important to create a morning routine that will help you start your day feeling refreshed and energized. Here are 11 tips for creating a healthy morning routine, regardless of whether you’re preparing for a day with the kids or working a side hustle.
- Tips for Creating a Healthy Morning Routine
- 1. Wake up at the same time each day.
- 2. Exercise or stretch.
- 3. Prioritize important tasks.
- 4. Enjoy a cup of coffee or tea.
- 5. Drink a full glass of water.
- 6. Meditate by taking deep breaths.
- 7. Journal or write down your thoughts.
- 8. Get some fresh air.
- 9. Avoid your phone.
- 10. Say positive affirmations.
- 11. Take advantage of self-care.
- How do I start a healthy morning routine?
- What is the healthiest thing to do in the morning?
- What is the most effective morning routine?
- What should be in a morning routine?
- How To Handle Your Alarm Clock for a Better Morning Routine
- Final Thoughts: How To Have Enough Time In The Morning
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
Tips for Creating a Healthy Morning Routine
These tips will help you create a daily routine that works for you:
1. Wake up at the same time each day.
Waking up at the same time each day helps to regulate your body’s natural sleep cycle. That means you’ll be less likely to feel tired during the day and more likely to get a good night’s sleep.
2. Exercise or stretch.
Stretching or doing some light exercise in the morning helps to increase blood flow and get your body moving. It’s a great way to start your day feeling refreshed and energized! Take a brisk walk around the block, do some yoga, or go for a swim.
3. Prioritize important tasks.
Before you start your day, take a few moments to think about what tasks are most essential. This will help you focus on what’s truly important and get things done more efficiently.
- 8 Tips for Managing Blood Sugar Levels: Mastering the Balance for Better Health
- The Holistic Approach to Managing High Blood Pressure
- Demystifying Digital Minimalism: Understanding Tech-Life Balance
- Digital Minimalism: The New Way to Find Balance in a Busy World
- The Importance of Mental and Physical Self-Care for Busy Moms
4. Enjoy a cup of coffee or tea.
Many people enjoy starting their day with a morning beverage, like a cup of coffee or tea. If you do, make sure to take the time to savor it and enjoy the flavor.
5. Drink a full glass of water.
Drinking water first thing in the morning helps to rehydrate your body and replenish fluids that were lost during sleep.
6. Meditate by taking deep breaths.
Spending a few minutes each morning focusing on your breath can help to center and calm your mind. It’s a great way to start your day feeling relaxed and at ease.
7. Journal or write down your thoughts.
Writing in a journal is a great way to process your thoughts and feelings. It can also be used as a tool to set goals and intentions for the day ahead. Consider creating a to-do list for the day or brainstorming ideas for a project you’re working on.
8. Get some fresh air.
9. Avoid your phone.
It can be tempting to reach for your phone as soon as you wake up, but try to resist the urge. Checking your email or social media first thing in the morning can add unnecessary stress to your day. Leave these tasks for when you get to work and enjoy a good mood all morning long!
Find out how to do a social media cleanse with our 30-day social media detox challenge!
10. Say positive affirmations.
Affirming positive statements about yourself is a great way to start your day on a positive note. Repeating affirmations such as “I am worthy of love and happiness” can help to boost your confidence and get your day off to a great start.
11. Take advantage of self-care.
Daily self-care is essential for physical and mental health so be sure to schedule some time for yourself each morning. This can be anything from reading three pages in a book, taking a bath, or enjoying a cup of tea.
By following these tips for creating a healthy routine, you can create a routine that works for you. Just remember to be patient and consistent with your new routine.
It may take some time to get used to, but eventually, it will become second nature. And you’ll be starting your day off in the best way possible and creating healthy habits for life.
How do I start a healthy morning routine?
It’s not as hard as you might think! Trying to tackle a completely new list of habits at once can be overwhelming. Start with one habit at a time. Once you have that down, add others in until you have a complete morning routine. Here is some more wellness advice to help you get started:
1. Get enough sleep. This is probably the most important tip on the list! Most people need 7 or more hours of sleep per night.[*] Consider going to bed earlier tonight and see how you feel in the morning.
2. Wake up at the same time each day. This will help to train your body to wake up when you want it to. Once you have a set wake-up time, stick to it as much as possible.
3. Drink water first thing in the morning. Hydration is key! A good way to make sure you’re drinking enough water is to keep a water bottle with you throughout the day.
4. Get some sunlight. Spend a few minutes outside each morning, even if it’s just walking around the block. The vitamin D will do you good!
5. Make your bed. I know you’ve heard this one before, but it really does make a difference. Whether you’re a morning person or a night owl, a made bed is a sign of a productive day ahead.
6. Eat a balanced breakfast that includes healthy fats, protein, and whole grains. This will give you the energy you need to get through the day. Or, try intermittent fasting to increase your focus and productivity for the rest of the day.
7. Go to sleep at the same time every night. This will help to regulate your body’s natural sleep rhythm.
8. Practice some form of relaxation or mindfulness each morning. This could be anything from reading a few pages of a book, spending time in nature, or meditating for 5 minutes.
9. Establish a good skin care routine.
More blogs about intermittent fasting:
- Intermittent Fasting Results for Women: How to Lose Weight and Feel Great
- 7 Ways to Stay Motivated When Fasting: Tips for Intermittent Fasting Success
- How Intermittent Fasting Eliminated My Reactive Hypoglycemia Symptoms For Good
- What To Eat After Intermittent Fasting: 13 Best Foods To Break a Fast
- Why You Should Try Intermittent Fasting: 10 Solid Reasons
9. Exercise. Morning exercise has so many benefits, including stress management and improving your mood. Even a short workout can make a big difference in how you feel.
10. Breathe deeply. Stress can be a major contributor to many health problems. Take a few minutes each morning to do some deep breathing exercises and reduce stress.
What is the healthiest thing to do in the morning?
The answer may vary depending on who you ask, but some morning habits are unanimously considered healthy. Here are 11 tips for creating a healthy morning routine:
1. Take a cold shower to stimulate blood flow and wake yourself up. Or, take a hot shower to relax your muscles and improve circulation.
2. Eat a healthy breakfast to jump-start your metabolism (or consider skipping breakfast and try intermittent fasting).
Healthy Breakfast Ideas:
- 10 Healthy Breakfast Ideas To Kick Off Your Morning
- 10 Easy Baked Oatmeal Recipes For Breakfast
- 15 Healthy Breakfast Foods To Start Your Morning Right
- 3 Healthy Breakfast Juice Recipes
- 10 Best Recipes For Easy To Make Protein Pancakes
3. Go for a morning walk or do some other form of exercise to get your body moving.
4. Spend some time in nature, if possible, to center yourself and reduce stress.[*]
5. Meditate or practice mindfulness to still your mind and ease anxiety.[*]
6. Make time for yourself to do something you enjoy, without stress or obligations.
7. Avoid screens for at least the first hour of your day, if possible.
8. Get organized and set your intention for the day ahead.
9. Connect with a family member or friend.
10. Practice gratitude by brainstorming a few things you’re thankful for each day.
11. Make your bed as soon as you get up to start the day with a sense of accomplishment.
12. Listen to a podcast to get inspired or learn a new skill.
While there are many morning habits you can adopt, it’s important to find what works best for you and make it into a routine. By starting your day with healthy habits, you set the tone for the rest of your day – and ultimately, your life.
What is the most effective morning routine?
We all know the feeling of waking up groggy and disoriented, struggling to get out of bed, and getting our day started on the wrong foot. But what if I told you that by making some small changes to your routine, you can set yourself up for a more productive, stress-free, and happy day?
It may seem like a tall order, but the secret to creating a healthy routine is to start small and build up from there. So whether you’re looking to make a complete 180 in your morning habits or just want to implement a few new healthy ones, take things one step at a time.
Printable Daily Habit Tracker
Start your day off on the right foot by printing out our printable daily habit tracker! This printable will help you to stay accountable and form healthy habits. Track your progress each day and see how much better you feel once you’ve established a healthy routine.
What should be in a morning routine?
Every great morning routine should have 4 key components:
1. Something To Help You Wake Up
This could be something as simple as opening the blinds or taking a cold shower. The goal is to start your day with a jolt of energy that will help you feel awake and alert.
2. A Healthy Breakfast (or Water, Black Coffee, or Tea if You’re Fasting)
Eating a nutritious breakfast is a great way to jump-start your metabolism and set the tone for the rest of your day. Choose something that will give you sustained energy, like overnight oats with fruit or eggs and toast. And if you’re not a breakfast person, that’s okay! If you’re intermittent fasting, just make sure to drink plenty of water or have a cup of black coffee or tea instead.
3. A Few Minutes of Exercise
Getting your body moving in the morning is a great way to increase blood flow and get your muscles warmed up for the day ahead. Taking a brisk walk or doing some gentle stretches are both great options.
4. Something To Center Yourself
This could be anything from reading a few pages of a book to meditating to spending time in nature. The goal is to find something that helps you relax and center yourself before starting your day.
By incorporating these four components into your morning routine, you can set yourself up for a more productive, stress-free, and happy day.
How To Handle Your Alarm Clock for a Better Morning Routine
When your alarm clock goes off in the morning, do you find yourself hitting snooze or do you immediately get up and start your day? If you’re like most people, chances are you probably hit snooze at least once (or maybe even twice!).
While hitting the snooze button may give you a few extra minutes of shut-eye, it’s not doing you any favors. Studies have shown that hitting snooze can actually make you feel more tired and groggy when you finally do get up.
If you find yourself struggling to get out of bed in the morning, try setting your alarm for a specific time and then placing it across the room. This way, you’ll have to get out of bed to turn it off, which will help you wake up and start your day.
Best Circadian Rhythm Alarm Clocks on Amazon
Circadian rhythm alarm clocks are designed to help you wake up feeling refreshed and energized. These clocks gradually increase the light in your room over30 minutes, simulating the natural light of sunrise.
This can help to ease you out of sleep and make it easier for you to get up in the morning. If you’re looking for a circadian rhythm alarm, check out some of the best ones on Amazon.
4. LittleHippo Mella Night Light and Sleep Sounds Machine (made for kids, but too cute not to include in the list!)
Final Thoughts: How To Have Enough Time In The Morning
Whether you’re a morning person or not, with a little bit of planning and effort, you can easily create a healthy self-care routine that works for you. Just remember to start small and build up from there. And don’t forget to make time for things that bring you joy or help you relax.
By incorporating these tips into your daily routine, you’ll be on your way to starting each day off on the right foot!
What are your favorite tips for creating a healthy morning routine?