Last Updated on January 28, 2023 by Lori Geurin
When I’m fasting, I feel energized, alive, and alert. I also enjoy not being weighed down by food and the benefits of autophagy. However, when I first started practicing fasting, there were times when the hunger pangs crept in, and all I could think about was food. In those moments, it’s helpful to have a list of fun things to do instead of eating. Below are 50 things to do instead of eating when you’re doing a fast.
Fasting is a healthy way to lose body weight and feel better. But sometimes you may want to eat when you’re not actually hungry. We’ve all been there, myself included.
When you’ve been used to eating at the same times every day for years, it’s normal to confuse boredom with hunger. As your body adjusts to your new fasting schedule, you’ll likely find it’s easier to cope. Many people who’ve been fasting for a while say they don’t feel hungry, have more energy, and can focus more clearly.
These ideas will help you do something worthwhile with the extra time you have now that you’re not eating three meals and snacks throughout the day. Sounds pretty great, right?
- 50 Things To Do While Fasting
- What should I not do while intermittent fasting?
- What is allowed during intermittent fasting?
- Human Growth Hormone and Intermittent Fasting
- What To Eat When You Break a Fast
- How Intermittent fasting helps with weight loss
- How to Fast Safely
- Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- Final Thoughts – Things To Do Instead Of Eat When You’re Intermittent Fasting
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
PLEASE PIN FOR LATER
50 Things To Do While Fasting
1. Organize your photos.
2. Take a bubble bath.
3. Clean out your clothes.
4. Download a fitness app and try a new workout.
5. Try a new makeup look. (Or, if you’re like me, just put on some makeup.)
Find out why intermittent fasting is good.
6. Send your loved one an email, text, or letter.
7. Listen to the messages you tell yourself.
8. Drink a glass of lemon water.
9. Make a honey-do list for your significant other.
10. Take your dog on a walk around the block.
INTERMITTENT FASTING PDF
Curious if intermittent fasting could boost your health and results? Get the FREE fasting PDF and find out exactly what fasting can do for you. Just click the link below.
11. Try a new hobby. These 100 low-cost hobbies can help!
12. Take a walk outside.
13. Do a 30-day wellness challenge.
14. Clean out your junk drawer.
15. Plan a movie night.
Learn how intermittent fasting works.
16. Run some errands.
17. Enjoy a hot cup of tea.
18. Get a massage.
19. Decorate your bedroom with items you already own.
20. Turn up your favorite music and dance.
- 6 Ways the Benefits of Silence Can Give Your Health a Boost
- From Generic to Memorable: How to Choose a Business Name That Sets You Apart
- The Importance of Proofreading and Copyediting: How to Improve Your Website’s Credibility
- The Art of Engagement: How to Write Articles That Keep Your Audience Coming Back
- Asserting Yourself: How To Communicate Your Needs and Boundaries
More Ideas For What To Do Instead Of Eating
21. Plan a vacation.
22. Plant some flowers.
23. Create a new Pinterest board about fasting and Pin this article to your board.
24. Clean out a closet.
25. Write down two health goals you want to achieve.
Learn all about clean fasting and how it can boost your intermittent fasting results.
26. Learn how to be a better listener.
27. Do some deep breathing exercises.
28. Call a friend on the phone.
29. Create a monthly budget.
30. Read a book.
31. Floss and brush your teeth.
32. Start a capsule wardrobe.
33. Ride a bike.
34. Declutter one room in your house.
35. Take your car through the car wash or wash it by hand.
Get The Complete Guide To Fasting.
36. Do some laundry.
37. Write in a gratitude journal.
38. Listen to a podcast.
39. Organize your inbox and clean out old emails.
40. Do some planks.
You may enjoy these intermittent fasting quotes for motivation.
41. Plant a garden.
42. Practice yoga.
43. Do some gentle stretching exercises.
44. Facetime a friend.
45. Give yourself a manicure.
46. Use some essential oils for relaxation.
47. Take a short power nap.
48. Watch a documentary.
49. Brainstorm an idea.
50. Work a crossword puzzle or Sudoku.
RELATED: Losing Weight With Insulin Resistance
What should I not do while intermittent fasting?
Intermittent fasting is a safe and healthy way to improve your health, but there are a few things you should not do while fasting.
- Do not eat: Fasting is not an excuse to binge eat or overeat. Overeating food will negate the health benefits of fasting and can lead to weight gain.
- Do not drink alcohol: Alcohol is empty calories that can sabotage your weight-loss efforts. Drinking while fasting can also lead to dehydration and impair your judgment, leading to poor food choices.
- Do not exercise excessively: High-intensity exercise can break down muscle tissue and should be avoided while fasting. moderate exercise is fine, but you should not try to push your body to its limits while fasting.
- Do not add cream to your coffee or tea: Adding cream to your coffee or tea will break your fast. This is called dirty fasting. If you want to add flavor to your coffee or tea, wait until your fast is over.
RELATED: Intermittent Fasting & Coffee: Does Coffee Break a Fast?
What is allowed during intermittent fasting?
Clean fasting is when you only drink water, black coffee, and unsweetened tea during your fasting period. Keeping your fasting simple by only consuming these beverages will help you to see the best results and feel better.
RELATED: Healthy Coffee Drink Recipe (With Coconut Oil)
What is a water fast?
Drinking water is the most crucial part of any fast, but some people choose to do an extended water fast when they consume only water and nothing else during fasting periods. Water fasting can be done for 24 hours or more and can have some health benefits, but it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor before doing a water fast.
How much water should I drink while fasting?
It is essential to stay hydrated while fasting, so be sure to drink plenty of water. The general rule is to drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water daily, but you may need more or less depending on your activity level and the climate you live in.
Human Growth Hormone and Intermittent Fasting
When you’re intermittent fasting, your body goes through autophagy, which breaks down and recycles old and damaged cells. This process can help to improve your overall health, but it also has the potential to increase levels of human growth hormone (HGH).
HGH is a vital hormone in growth and development, and it has been linked to improved muscle mass, increased fat loss, and anti-aging effects.
While more research is needed to determine the exact effects of intermittent fasting on HGH levels, some evidence suggests that it may benefit people looking to improve their body composition.
What To Eat When You Break a Fast
When you break your fast, eating foods that are easy to digest and won’t make you feel sick is essential.
Some good options include:
- Fresh raw fruits and vegetables
- Lean protein sources such as chicken or fish
- Cooked whole grains
- Unsweetened plain yogurt
- Herbal tea, green tea, or bone broth
Avoid eating processed, sugary, and high-fat foods, as they can be challenging to digest and make you feel sick.
How Intermittent fasting helps with weight loss
Intermittent fasting can help weight loss by increasing insulin sensitivity and boosting metabolism. When you fast, your body is forced to use stored energy, which means it will start to break down and use fat for fuel. This process is called lipolysis, and it can lead to reduced body fat over time.
Intermittent fasting can also help to increase insulin sensitivity, which is the human body’s ability to use sugar for energy. Insulin resistance is a significant cause of weight gain, so increasing insulin sensitivity can lead to more efficient fat-burning and weight loss.
Intermittent fasting is a great way to boost your metabolism and promote weight loss.
If you want to lose weight, intermittent fasting is a great option. It can help to increase insulin sensitivity, boost metabolism, and promote fat loss. Just be sure to eat healthy foods when you break your fast and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
How to Fast Safely
If you’re thinking about intermittent fasting, you must talk to a medical professional first, especially if you have any medical conditions.
Intermittent fasting is generally safe for most people, but there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure you stay healthy while fasting.
- Drink plenty of water: When fasting, it’s important to stay hydrated. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Eat healthy foods: When you break your fast, be sure to eat healthy foods that are easy to digest.
- Avoid processed foods and sugary foods as they can be challenging to digest and may make you feel sick.
- Get plenty of sleep: When you’re fasting, your body undergoes many changes. Be sure to get plenty of rest to allow your body to recover.
RELATED: Relaxing Sleep Music To Help You Sleep Better Tonight
Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent fasting has been shown to have several health benefits, including:
- Weight loss
- Belly fat loss
- Cellular repair
- Increased insulin sensitivity
- Reduced inflammation and oxidative stress
- Hormone regulation
- Improved brain health
- Decreased blood pressure
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes
- Increased lifespan
In essence, intermittent fasting is a great way to improve your overall health and well-being.
Final Thoughts – Things To Do Instead Of Eat When You’re Intermittent Fasting
Whether fasting to lose weight or simply be healthy, I hope you enjoyed these 50 ideas! Sometimes you may be tempted to eat because you are bored, stressed, or craving something sweet.
If you find yourself in this situation, try one of the activities above. If none of those work, remember that you can always break your fast and try again tomorrow!
Mindful eating techniques take practice, but it’s essential to have a plan in place to meet your health goals successfully. I hope this list helped and that you find success with intermittent fasting. Thanks for reading!
Any ideas to add to the list? What helps you most when you’re intermittent fasting?