Last Updated on June 18, 2022 by Lori Geurin
Looking for a simple way to improve your health, reduce stress, and enhance your relationships? Practicing gratitude is one of the most powerful methods you can use to upgrade your life. And even better, improve someone else’s too! Below are 20 ways to show gratitude to family, friends, and co-workers. When you make gratitude a part of your life you’ll find yourself feeling lighter, happier, less stressed, and freer from the FOMO (fear of missing out).
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
What Is Gratitude?
Gratitude is the practice of expressing appreciation for the good in your life. It’s a combination of thoughts and feelings that, hopefully, encourages you to act. When someone is grateful, they are aware of all of their blessings. You may concentrate on specific issues or the overall scope of your life.
When you look for the benefits rather than the faults, your viewpoint changes and how you perceive yourself and others. It’s critical to be grateful not only so that you may receive more goodness in your life but also because it benefits others.
It’s important to remember all of the wonderful things in your life in order for you to live a happy and successful life. Of course, it’s natural to dwell on unpleasant or negative events, but doing so without also considering what went well can be harmful. If you only focus on the negatives, you’re likely to become dissatisfied with your life.
20 Simple Ways To Express Gratitude
Here are 20 simple ways to express gratitude, change your life (and someone else’s) today.
1. Offer to help out when you notice someone is struggling. Ask what you can do to help ease their load.
2. Clean up after yourself.
3. Be an encourager to friends and family. Everyone needs someone to believe in them and appreciate what makes them truly unique.
4. Avoid criticizing traits that annoy you and do your best to focus on their positive qualities.
5. Buy them a green smoothie, tea, or coffee, just because.
6. Smile more.
7. Practice patience, especially when you’re in a rush.
8. Remain calm in a stressful situation.
9. Write a short note or letter sharing something you love about your friend or family member.
10. Give hugs freely (as long as they’re welcome).
- What is Wellness and How to Enjoy Greater Well-Being
- 9 Health Benefits Of Intermittent Fasting To Improve Your Life
- What You Need To Know About Intermittent Fasting and Fatigue
- 20 Easy Ways To Express Gratitude
- 20 Fun Ways To Work Out at Home (That Are Actually Fun!)
More Ways To Be Grateful…
11. Learn how to be a better listener and really pay attention to what is being said. Ask clarifying questions to make sure you understand.
Related: 7 Ways To Be A Better Communicator
12. Tell someone you appreciate their honesty, even when it’s hard to hear.
13. Keep a gratitude journal. Wondering how to start? Here are 10 Tips For Keeping A Gratitude Journal to get you started.
14. Remember loved ones’ birthdays and anniversaries with a text, e-card, or phone call.
15. Be mindful of your self-talk and challenge negative thought patterns.
My favorite book on this topic is What To Say When You Talk To Yourself. A quick read and the best advice you can put into action right now.
16. Share a blog article with a friend (maybe this one?)
17. Forgive someone. Remember that forgiveness does not necessarily mean you excuse or accept the behavior. But it can help you move past a painful memory to heal.
18. Keep an open mind and avoid being judgmental.
19. Take a relaxing gratitude walk in nature.
20. Believe the best about others and give them the benefit of the doubt.
If you’re looking for more quotes about gratitude don’t miss the 25 Best Thanksgiving Quotes To Inspire Gratitude.
Now let’s take a quick look at how being grateful can boost your health and wellness.
Benefits Of Gratitude
Expressing gratitude can improve your life in so many ways! Here are 10 of the health and wellness benefits of gratitude.
- 1. Enhances sleep [*]
- 2. Reduces stress [*]
- 3. Improves positive emotions
- 4. Reduces aggression [*]
- 5. Enhances friendships
- 6. Causes people to be less materialistic
- 7. Improves heart health
- 8. Enhances satisfaction in romantic relationships [*]
- 9. Boosts energy [*]
- 10. Reduces blood pressure [*]
If you liked this you’re going to love:
- Make The Journey Beautiful: Love And Gratitude
- How Gratitude Improves Your Life
- 50 Ways To Be Kind To Others: Kindness Matters
- 5 Things To Do When You Say Something You Regret
- 5 Simple Ways To Relieve Stress And Relax
- 10 Ways To Relieve Stress And Anxiety
Easy Ways To Show Gratitude
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning more about how practicing gratitude is so good for you! Not only is it great for your heart, blood sugar, and mood, but it’s one of the best ways to enhance your relationships too. There are endless ways to show your gratitude, including the 20 listed above.
Printable Gratitude Tracker
Do you want to get started with a daily gratitude practice? It’s easy to begin, and it’s beneficial in almost every area of your life. You can print out a simple and effective gratitude journal to record all the wonderful things that happen to you every day.
What are your favorite ways to express gratitude? Share below!