Last Updated on October 7, 2022 by Lori Geurin
In our fast-paced, constantly-connected world, it’s all too easy to forget the simple things in life that bring us joy. But for women, taking a step back to appreciate the simple pleasures can be incredibly empowering. It’s a way of reclaiming our life and happiness and of reminding ourselves that we don’t need material possessions or a hectic lifestyle to be content.
- 50 Simple Pleasures in Life: It's the Little Things
- What Are Simple Things in Life?
- Final Thoughts About Finding Simple Pleasure in Everyday Life
50 Simple Pleasures in Life: It’s the Little Things
So what are some of these simple pleasures that fill our lives with joy? Here are 50 examples:
1. Deep breathing exercises
2. The smell of freshly washed laundry
3. Drinking a cold glass of water on a hot day
4. Taking a hot shower when it’s cold outside
5. The simple joy of feeling a cool breeze on a hot day
6. Seeing someone smile when you pass by on the sidewalk
7. The smell of freshly cut grass
8. The feeling of newness on a spring day
9. Breathing in the fresh air in the morning
10. Taking a bubble bath after a long day
11. The smell of fresh sheets when you get in bed
12. Watching the sunset with a friend
13. Reading a good book while you sip a fresh cup of coffee
- 10 Benefits of a Minimalist Wardrobe: Unlock Wellness Through Simplicity
- How to Boost Your Self-Confidence: A Comprehensive Guide
- How To Unlock Your True Potential and Boost Your Life: A Guide to Becoming Your Best Self
- Twenty 30-Day Challenge Ideas To Improve Your Life
- How To Be More Confident: 15 Surprising Habits of Confident People
14. Holding hands with a loved one
15. Relaxing with friends after a long day
16. Sitting on the beach in the morning
17. Sitting down to write about what you’re grateful for
18. Learning something new from your day
19. Visiting a local restaurant to lift your mood
20. Enjoying the sound of birds chirping in the morning
21. Listening to a friend share about their day
22. Making someone smile
23. Taking a relaxing walk at night with a friend
24. Writing on beautiful stationery
25. Freshly baked cookies
More Ways To Enjoy Simplicity in Life
26. Sleeping in and drinking coffee in bed
27. Giving your loved one a hug
28. Having a free day to do whatever you want
29. Taking an afternoon nap
30. Listening to relaxing music
31. Having a good laugh
32. Baking homemade bread
33. Sitting outside and listening to nature sounds
34. Hearing your favorite song on the radio
35. Swinging on a front porch swing
36. Keeping an organized space
37. Playing a game of checkers
38. Writing a handwritten letter to a friend
39. Going on a picnic
40. Eating a home-cooked meal with your family
41. Fresh flowers in a vase
42. Wearing a new outfit for the first time
43. Hiking on a nature trail
44. Listening to your kids laugh and savoring the moment (because everyone tells you they grow up too fast and you know in your heart it’s true)
45. Picking berries at a berry patch
46. Taking your dog on a walk
47. Doing some relaxing yoga poses
48. Cleaning out your closet and donating things you don’t need
49. Making a vision board for your future
50. Organizing your desk to reduce stress
What Are Simple Things in Life?
This phrase is often used to describe the necessities of life that we so often take for granted, such as having a roof over our heads and food on the table.
But these things in life can also refer to the small moments and pleasures that make up our day-to-day lives. These things bring a smile to our faces or make us feel grateful for what we have.
So spend time watching the sunrise in the morning, taking a hot shower after a long day, or listening to the sweet sound of your favorite music. There’s truly nothing like it.
What is meant by simple living?
If you could eliminate anything in your life, what would it be?
Simple living is often associated with a minimalist lifestyle, where you focus on owning only the things you need and getting rid of anything that doesn’t add value to your life – pure simplicity.
Marie Kondo asks the question, “does it bring me joy?” This simple question causes us to pause and reflect on what (and who) truly matters to us most.
Simple living can also refer to slowing down and enjoying the simple pleasures in life, like spending time with loved ones or taking a nature walk.
How can I enjoy simple pleasures in life?
For example, you can take a few deep breaths and focus on the fresh morning air you’re breathing in. A deep belly breath that brings health to your very being.
Enjoy a relaxing walk on the beach. How does it make you feel?
Savor the taste of your favorite food.
You can also enjoy the company of loved ones and have meaningful conversations with them. Another way to enjoy life’s simple pleasures is to be grateful for what you have and focus on the positive aspects of your life.
What are some of the benefits of enjoying simple things in life?
Some benefits of enjoying simple pleasures in life include feeling happier, reducing stress levels, and improving your overall well-being.
Enjoying life’s simple pleasures can also help you appreciate what you have and make you more grateful for what you have. According to research, gratitude increases positive mood, happiness, and satisfaction. It also reduces negative feelings and depression.[*]
It can help you connect with other people and build strong relationships.
How can I live a simple life with less money?
You don’t need a lot of money to live a simple life. You can often find more enjoyment in the simple pleasures in life even when you don’t have a lot of money.
One way to do this is to focus on experiences rather than material possessions.
For example, you can go on a nature hike or visit a local museum instead of buying new clothes.
You can also cook simple meals at home rather than eat out. Additionally, you can spend time with loved ones and build strong relationships with them.
Lastly, you can live a simple life by decluttering your home and removing anything that doesn’t bring you joy.
See our article about How To Overcome Fear of Failure and Rejection.
Why are simple pleasures in life important?
Recognizing the small details that bring happiness helps you control your happiness and life experiences. Appreciating simple pleasures can be beneficial, especially when life feels stressful or demanding.
Experiencing simple pleasure can restore feelings of positivity and happiness, giving you energy and perspective for life’s challenges.
How do you enjoy simple pleasures in life?
What are the best ways to get the most out of life and enjoy it? Our five senses are powerful and can be linked with numerous positive memories of past experiences.
A sense of appreciation for simple things in life helps us practice gratitude. It is important to slow down and enjoy life’s simple pleasures to increase your happiness.
Some of my favorite simple pleasures are:
- Taking a walk in nature
- Drinking a hot cup of coffee in the morning
- Spending time with my husband
- Kayaking down a lazy river
- Trying a new restaurant
- Playing with my Boston terrier, Rudy
- Relaxing with a good book on our screened-in porch
- Laying outside in the sun, listening to the sounds of nature
- Seeing my kids smile and laugh
Final Thoughts About Finding Simple Pleasure in Everyday Life
Experiencing simple pleasures doesn’t require any money. It is about living in the moment and enjoying the small things that life has to offer. So, the next time you are feeling stressed or down, take a moment to appreciate the simple pleasures in life and see how it changes your day.
There’s nothing like taking pleasure in the little things and watching how it changes your life for the better!
How do you enjoy the simple pleasures in life? Share your thoughts below!