Last Updated on February 9, 2023 by Lori Geurin
Hey there, I hope you’re having an awesome week! I just made a yummy protein smoothie to break my fast and wanted to share it with you. It’s quick and easy and super yummy! I call it the Purple Cow Low-Carb Protein Shake but you can call it whatever you like.
Sure, Purple Cow isn’t original, but coming up with fun names for food is entertaining and you might like it too. I made a list of alternative recipe names for you to use below:
- Fuchsia Fitness Fusion (Try saying that 5 times fast.)
- Lavender Liquid Libation
- Indigo Protein Power
- Outstanding Orchid Mélange
- Pleasant Plum Potion
- Aubergine Bloom Brew
Just call me a word nerd. ha
Now, back to the recipe. Because I’ve been living the keto lifestyle I wanted to make it low in carbs. If you aren’t watching your carbs, feel free to add more fruit and/or use cow’s milk (full-fat, preferably). But, just in case you’re wondering, the net carbs are 9.5 g. (You can calculate net carbs by subtracting the total fiber from the total carbs.)
In the world of protein shakes, cow inspired beverages rule. (I just made that up.)
As you can see, I chose a plant-based milk to keep the carbs (and blood sugar) low. Protein shakes are great because you can personalize them and throw in your favorite ingredients based on the foods and flavors you love the most.
RELATED: 12 Surprising Health Benefits Of Chia Seeds
- The Importance of Mental and Physical Self-Care for Busy Moms
- 6 Ways the Benefits of Silence Can Give Your Health a Boost
- From Generic to Memorable: How to Choose a Business Name That Sets You Apart
- The Importance of Proofreading and Copyediting: How to Improve Your Website’s Credibility
- The Art of Engagement: How to Write Articles That Keep Your Audience Coming Back
Check out this easy coffee protein shake from Simple Happy Foodie.
I would have added some leafy greens, like spinach or kale, but I need to go grocery shopping so I don’t have any on hand. Go for the greens and you’ll likely have a greenish-purple shake with tons of added nutrition!
RELATED: Does Black Coffee Break a Fast?
Now, on to the good stuff…
Purple Cow Low-Carb Protein Shake Recipe
Low-Carb Purple Cow Protein Shake Recipe
- 1 cup milk ( I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk but you can also use unsweetened cashew, soy or coconut milk.)
- 2 scoops whey protein powder OR vegan protein powder
- Handful of frozen strawberries
- Handful of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 T. chia seeds
- Optional: nuts, spinach, nut butters, hemp seeds, etc.
- Simply mix everything in a blender. I used my NutriBullet.
- Sprinkle with chia seeds.
Low-Carb Purple Cow Protein Shake Recipe
Serves: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5.2 g||7.7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.3 g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0 g|
|Sodium 226.6 mg||9.4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g||5.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.2 g||28%|
|Sugars 5.6 g|
|Protein 29 g|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
LoriGeurin.com | Wellness For Life
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Do you have a favorite low-carb protein shake recipe to share?
If you liked this you’re going to love:
- 8 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
- 9 Health Benefits Of Intermittent Fasting
- Healthy Coffee Drink (With Coconut Oil) Recipe
- Chocolate Coconut Energy Balls: Protein Rich And Delicious
- 22 Amazing Uses For Apple Cider Vinegar
10 thoughts on “Low-Carb Purple Cow Protein Shake Recipe”
Oh wow that actually sounds yummy! I’ll have to share it with my boyfriend. He’s always looking for new ways to get Protein. 🙂
Great, thanks, Candice!
I’ve recently begun making my own smoothies at home using Kale so this is something I’m interested in trying!
Hey there, Dyana – That’s awesome and kale is so nutrition-packed. 🙂
This recipe sounds delicious and it’s so pretty. It’s a bit higher in calories than I like to do for protein smoothies but it sounds so good!
Hey, Arielle, Thanks!
Yum! this sounds absolutely delicious 🙂 Can’t wait to try it!
Thank you, Ruth! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Looks so good and healthy!! You had me at purple too, it’s my favorite color.
Thanks, Leigh! Glad you like the purple, too!