Last Updated on September 9, 2022 by Lori Geurin
Sometimes all you need is a little boost to keep pushing toward your healthy lifestyle. When I’m having a tough time getting motivated, one of my favorite pastimes is to read uplifting quotations. If you’re interested in intermittent fasting or have already committed, I hope these 42 intermittent fasting quotes inspire and refresh you on your wellness journey.
But first, a little background on intermittent fasting.
Get the FREE Intermittent Fasting Ebook!
- The Beginner’s Guide to Intermittent Fasting Video
- What is Intermittent Fasting?
- Printable Intermittent Fasting Tracker
- 42 Intermittent Fasting Quotes To Inspire You
- Can You Gain Muscle While Intermittent Fasting?
- Final Words: Intermittent Fasting Encouragement
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
The Beginner’s Guide to Intermittent Fasting Video
Here’s a quick video I made to help you get started fasting.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting (IF) is an umbrella term for various eating patterns that involve not eating for some time. IF is a timing schedule, not a diet plan. While some weight loss plans focus on what to eat, IF focuses on when to eat.
There are several methods to help you reach your goals.
Intermittent Fasting Schedules
Some of the most common fasting schedules include:
- 16:8. Fasting for 16 hours and then eating during an 8-hour window
- 12:12, or circadian rhythm fasting. Fasting for 12 hours each night, then eating during a 12-hour window
- 18:6. Fasting for 18 hours and eating in a 6-hour window
- 5:2. Eating only 500-600 calories two days a week and eating normally the other five days
- Alternate day fasting. Fasting every other day
Here are 22 intermittent fasting schedules to give you an idea of what is out there.
Intermittent Fasting Benefits
Intermittent fasting has many benefits that include:
- Weight loss[*]
- Improved metabolic health[*]
- Reduced inflammation[*]
- Improved brain function[*]
- Increased lifespan[*]
- Reduced blood pressure[*]
- Improved heart health[*]
- Increased insulin sensitivity[*]
You may want to learn more about the health benefits of intermittent fasting.
Printable Intermittent Fasting Tracker
Weight loss is a major concern for many people, especially women who are just starting families or balancing careers. Intermittent fasting can help you shed pounds without hunger or deprivation. But the key is using the right tools! That’s where an intermittent fasting tracker comes in handy.
Here are six benefits of using an IF Tracker:
- Helps you stick with your plan by providing support during tough times
- Tracks your progress so that you know what works best for YOU
- Helps you stay organized
- Motivates you to keep going when you feel like giving up
We created an easy-to-use printable intermittent fasting tracker to help you get the most out of your fasting lifestyle. You can check out the tracker in our Thrive Berry Etsy shop by clicking through the image below.
42 Intermittent Fasting Quotes To Inspire You
1. “Fasting is the single greatest natural healing therapy. It is nature’s ancient, universal ‘remedy’ for many problems.” – Elson Haas, M.D.
2. “Everyone who does intermittent fasting talks about it as a lifestyle, not a diet. They come for the weight loss, but stay for the health benefits.” – author unknown
3. “I assert that fasting is the most efficient means for correcting any disease.” – Adolph Mayer, M.D.
4. “Fasting for many people becomes not only a physical but also an emotional and spiritual process.” – Cynthia Thurlow
5. “Fasting and natural diet, though essentially unknown as a therapy, should be the first treatment when someone discovers that he or she has a medical problem.” – Joel Fuhrman
Get our FREE Intermittent Fasting eBook
6. “The best of all medicines is resting and fasting.” – Benjamin Franklin
7. “Fasting for the body is food for the soul.” – Saint John Chrysostom
8. “I fast for greater physical and mental efficiency.” – Plato
9. “Fasting is not nearly so deadly as feasting.” – J. Harold Smith
- What is Wellness and How to Enjoy Greater Well-Being
- 9 Health Benefits Of Intermittent Fasting To Improve Your Life
- What You Need To Know About Intermittent Fasting and Fatigue
- 20 Easy Ways To Express Gratitude
- 20 Fun Ways To Work Out at Home (That Are Actually Fun!)
Inspiring Fasting Quotes
10. “During a fast you will find out if it is you that controls your thoughts or if it is your thoughts that control you.” – author unknown
11. “Through long years of misinformation, people have been told, ‘Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gives you the strength, energy and vitality to do a hard morning’s work, either physical or mentally.” This is absolutely erroneous! It is not a true scientific fact. When you eat a heavy breakfast, through reflex action you feel full and satisfied, but you do not gain straight. It takes hours for this food to be processed by the digestive system before you can gain any energy or vitality from a big breakfast. Digestion is a most highly complicated process. “ – Dr. Paul C. Bragg
12. “You’re not going to burn body fat if you’re eating.” – Dr. Jason Fung
Here are 50 things to do instead of eating when you’re intermittent fasting.
13. “Everyone has a doctor in him or her; we just have to help it in its work. The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food. But to eat when you are sick, is to feed your sickness.” – Hippocrates
14. “Through fasting…I have found perfect health, a new state of existance, a feeling of purity and happiness, something unknown to humans.” – Upton Sinclair
15. “Fasting blinds the body in order to open your soul.” – Rumi
New to fasting? Get these 12 intermittent fasting tips.
Intermittent Fasting Funny Quotes
16. “What if I told you that intermittent fasting was really intermittent eating?” – author unknown
17. “Eat a double whopper and no one bats an eyelash. Fasting for 16 hours …everyone loses their minds!” – author unknown
18. “Fasting is like spring cleaning for your body.” – Jentezen Franklin
19. “Intermittent fasting…the diet for people too lazy to cook a bunch of meals during the day!” – Gin Stephens
20. He who buries his head deep into a nosebag full of food cannot hope to see the invisible world. – Al-Ghazali
More IF Quotes
21. “He who eats until he is sick must fast until he is well.” – English Proverb
22. “In a fast, the body tears down it’s defective parts and then rebuilds anew when eating is resumed.” – Herbert M. Sheldon
23. “The power of when you eat…is stronger than what you eat.” – Megan Ramos
24. “Fasting is a calming experience. It is restful…relieves anxiety and tension. It is rarely depressing and it is often downright exhilarating.” – Alan Cott, M.D.
25. “Fasting is a positive, healing thing that I GET to do for my body.” – author unknown
Find out how I used intermittent fasting for hypoglycemia (and kicked it to the curb!)
26. “Fasting has been practiced throughout history by almost every religion in the world.” – author unknown
27. “Intermittent fasting enhances the ability of nerve cells to repair DNA.” – Mark Mattson
28. “Your body has two fuel sources: food and stored food. You’re switching them when you fast.” – Dr. Jason Fung
29. “Fasting is the greatest remedy – the physician within.” – Philippus Paracelsus
30. “Hunger is the first element of self-discipline. If you can control what you eat and drink, you can control everything else.” – Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah
INTERMITTENT FASTING PDF
Curious if intermittent fasting could boost your health and results? Get the FREE fasting PDF and find out exactly what fasting can do for you. Just click the link below.
More Intermittent Fasting Articles:
- Intermittent Fasting Guide: A Great Way To Lose Weight
- How To Simplify Your Life With Intermittent Fasting
- OMAD Fasting Health Benefits And Precautions
- Intermittent Fasting And Hypoglycemia
- Top 7 Myths About Fasting Debunked
31. “Fasting is not so much a treatment of illness but a treatment of wellness.” – Dr. Jason Fung
32. “Instead of medicine, fast for a day.’ – Plutarch
33. “Circadian fasting is a less extreme version of a standard intermittent fast. While IF diets – like 16/8 fast – are very popular, it’s not what I would recommend to a first-time faster. Whereas circadian fasting is a great place to begin – it times your meals according to your circadian clock and focuses less of number hours of fasting.” – Dr. Amy Shah
34. “You burn fat, rather than sugar, in a fasted state.” – Maria Emmerich
35. “A fast is broken with consumption of food or a caloric substance; however, many people who enjoy the benefits of fasting and want to incorporate it as a daily ritual may take a more flexible approach such as a ‘fat fast’ using coconut oil, MCT oil, grass-fed butter, or cacao butter blended into a warm liquid during their fasted window.” – Ali Miller, R.D.
Learn all about clean fasting and how it can improve your fasting results.
Intermittent Fasting Quotes, Continued
36. “Intermittent fasting is incredibly useful in aiding fat loss, preventing cancer, building muscle, and increasing resilience. Done correctly, it’s one of the most painless high-impact ways to live longer.”
– Dave Asprey
37. “The price of fasting is zero.” – Dr. Jason Fung
38. “On fasting days, picture your ideal body and remember that your body is dipping into its fat reserve for energy and repairing damaged cells. Let that knowledge encourage and support you. Feel your food addiction weakening its hold on you.” – David Ortner
39. “Intermittent fasting is a lifestyle. It isn’t something that you start today and then end when you get to some arbitrary “goal weight.” Something you start and then stop is a DIET. Intermittent fasting isn’t a diet – as I said, it’s a lifestyle.” – Gin Stephens
40. “Even though autophagy and fasting will promote quick recovery and take care of the inflammation, you need enough sleep, calories, healthy fats, and collagen for adequate healing.” – Patricia Cook
Get the intermittent fasting rules and improve your health and wellness.
41. One of the reasons intermittent fasting can work is that it reconnects you with what hunger feels like. – Chris Mohr
42. “Intermittent fasting definitely and massively increases autophagy. And thanks to our caveman history, it thrived. In times of little food, lysosomes would race around the body looking for damaged cells, pre-diseased cells, and cells which weren’t doing much. It would chop them apart – into their smallest parts – and either burn them for energy, or use them to repair other areas. Simply, it would perform miracles without any outside help.” – Robert Skinner
Can You Gain Muscle While Intermittent Fasting?
It’s normal to both lose fat and muscle when you’re losing weight. But some research suggests that intermittent fasting allows you to retain your lean muscle mass better than other forms of weight loss.[*]
Plus, many people (myself included) who do intermittent fasting report that they feel more energy during their fasting window.
And we all know that you need energy to work out, get stronger, and gain muscle.
This combination of an increased ability to retain lean muscle and better energy for your workouts can help you improve your fitness level and your physique.
Final Words: Intermittent Fasting Encouragement
The greatest strategy to lose weight and enhance your general health is to follow a healthy lifestyle that is suited to you. This means eating plenty of vegetables, avoiding processed foods, and limiting your consumption of sugar. Eating real food helps to keep your blood sugar levels level and provides fiber, so you’ll have more energy and won’t be enslaved to cravings.
So what does the best strategy for better health and/or weight loss look like? It’s different for everyone. But you may find a combination of intermittent fasting and clean eating to be your best approach.
The good news is that by doing this you will also be following the most effective strategies for optimal health. Living a healthy life also means creating a custom exercise plan based on what works with your lifestyle and body type.
Have you tried intermittent fasting? What are your favorite intermittent fasting quotes? Share below!