Last Updated on February 17, 2023 by Lori Geurin
Wondering how to be strong mentally? Here are 10 things mentally strong people do.
Practicing these simple tips will help you build resilience, cope with negative emotions in a healthy way, and have self-compassion.
Mentally tough people don’t suppress their emotions or deny their feelings, but they learn how to deal with them productively. Mental strength is like a muscle and when you work it, it grows. Improving your mental toughness can strengthen your mental health. And the best news is that everyone can build mental strength!
When you’re ready to improve your life then you can begin following these habits mentally tough people do.
- 10 Habits Mentally Strong People Practice
- 1. Life is a process of growth and learning.
- 2. Persevere through difficult situations.
- 3. Acknowledge responsibility for life choices.
- 4. Be grateful.
- 5. Set healthy boundaries.
- 6. Be aware of your emotions.
- 7. Correct self-limiting, negative beliefs.
- 8. Be kind to yourself.
- 9. Stay true to your core beliefs.
- 10. Be self-aware and check your progress.
- Summary – How To Stay Mentally Strong
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through one of my affiliate links, I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for supporting our little blog. I appreciate you!
10 Habits Mentally Strong People Practice
1. Life is a process of growth and learning.
Constantly challenge yourself to expand your horizons. Read and research topics of interest and those you know nothing about. Improve your skills and challenge your brain.
Embrace a growth mindset (versus a fixed mindset) and be passionate about learning. Personality traits and intelligence are not ingrained at birth. They can be developed with effort.
- 8 Tips for Managing Blood Sugar Levels: Mastering the Balance for Better Health
- The Holistic Approach to Managing High Blood Pressure
- Demystifying Digital Minimalism: Understanding Tech-Life Balance
- Digital Minimalism: The New Way to Find Balance in a Busy World
- The Importance of Mental and Physical Self-Care for Busy Moms
2. Persevere through difficult situations.
When hard times come it’s easy to give up. But resist the urge and you’ll be rewarded. Tough times will come and go, but sticking it out through adversity can build strength over time. So don’t give up. You are stronger than you think.
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. (Kelly Clarkson sure knows her stuff.)
3. Acknowledge responsibility for life choices.
The only person who can live your life is you. You have free choice to make your own decisions, and you accept full responsibility for any and all consequences, good and bad.
This morning I was listening to Justin Su’a’s Increase Your Impact podcast, and he told a story about one of his favorite books. It was about a SEAL team. In an interview, the SEAL team leader said he took responsibility for every mistake the team made, even when it wasn’t directly his fault.
Su’a went on to explain how today, many people blame others instead of taking personal responsibility for their actions and how important this is if you want to grow and have a positive impact on anyone’s life – whether you’re a leader or not.
4. Be grateful.
Practicing gratitude may sound soft to some (especially when we’re talking about mental toughness) but it’s one of the best things you can do to gain perspective in life.
There are many ways you can show your gratitude, including writing in a gratitude journal.
Here are 20 more! 20 Easy Ways To Express Gratitude
5. Set healthy boundaries.
Many people don’t realize how important it is to set healthy boundaries. Psychotherapist, Amy Morin is the author of 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do. Morin says that when people don’t set physical and mental boundaries they give away their personal power.
But setting these boundaries gives you room to grow. It helps you be more compassionate, experience less stress and anger, and have more peace.
6. Be aware of your emotions.
Mentally strong people don’t suppress their emotions. As a matter of fact, according to Morin,
Remember to lead your emotions and don’t let your emotions lead you.
Related: 20 Natural Ways To Boost Your Mood
7. Correct self-limiting, negative beliefs.
We know that the mind is a powerful thing.
One thing we can control in life is our thoughts. Experience shows that if we don’t control our thoughts they will control us.
Mentally strong people are aware of negative self-talk.
You know what I mean…the I’m not good enough, strong enough, attractive enough, smart enough, wealthy enough, thin enough, buff enough, popular enough…ad nauseam.
So listen closely to the messages you’re telling yourself.
If when you hear a negative message, STOP and replace it with a positive, honest one about yourself.
Check out these 50 fun facts about yourself and never run out of things to talk about!
Here are a few positive affirmations to get you started:
- Everything will work out for my good.
- I am a winner.
- I’m growing stronger every day.
- I can do this.
- I know my worth.
- I’ve decided that I’m enough.
- It’s not their job to like me…It’s mine.
- I have the power to change my story.
- I’m not afraid to be wrong.
- I’m worthy of love and joy.
- I choose hope over fear.
- I have the power to control my weight through healthy clean eating and exercise.
- My body is a temple. I will keep my temple clean.
- I choose to not take it personally.
- I’m not an object. My body deserves respect.
- I am loveable and loved.
Lather, rinse and repeat.
This is a process and it takes longer for some people than others depending on a lot of factors. But it does get easier and it’s so worth the effort!
(Find out how to be a better listener with 10 easy tips.)
Check out our List Of 50 Little Pleasures That Fill Your Life With Joy.
8. Be kind to yourself.
Practice self-compassion. Rome wasn’t built in a day. You’re a work in progress – just like anyone else.
Think of this life’s journey like a marathon, not like a sprint. You’re in it for the long haul and the dividends will pay off if you stick with the plan. Practice fortitude.
Just don’t forget to give yourself grace along the way. Beating yourself up for being human won’t make you stronger in the long run. Kindness matters. And it starts with being kind to YOU.
Simply click on the t-shirt below.
Want to find out what to do when you say something you regret? Learning these important strategies will help you forgive yourself and flip the script on negative self-talk.
PIN FOR LATER, PLEASE
9. Stay true to your core beliefs.
Mentally strong people make choices based on their values and beliefs. Aligning your priorities and goals with your belief system even when it’s not “popular” takes inner strength and courage.
10. Be self-aware and check your progress.
Take time for personal reflection. What is your purpose in life?
What makes you excited when your feet hit the floor in the morning? How about personal strengths? What are areas you can work to improve on?
PIN ME, PLEASE!
Summary – How To Stay Mentally Strong
The above characteristics of a mentally strong person can help you effectively deal with stress and challenges and build resilience so you can live your best life.
Practicing these core habits will build mental toughness so when difficult times come along, you’re better prepared to handle them.
If you liked this, be sure to check out:
- 8 Ways To Improve Your Communication Skills
- How To Do A Social Media Detox Challenge To Feel Better
- Disappointment Hack: When You Want A Swimming Pool But Get A Dirt Road
- 15 Personality Traits Of An Empath: Are You One?
- 20 Natural Ways To Boost Your Mood
- 7 Ways To Be A Better Communicator
- l0 Proven Benefits Of Gratitude That Will Upgrade Your Life
What helps you stay mentally strong?